Friday, August 1, 2014

What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness - John Steinbeck


[COMMENT]I think the reason I love Radio and audio content is because I love hearing interviews and hearing a good host speak. Hearing people talk fascinates me, always has. One of the most influential interviewers was Michael Jackson at KABC in the 80's. I've mentioned this before, his weekly interviews with Alan Dershowitz were so intriguing to me, among his huge Rolodex of other guests. This was before I was a conservative, which happened after 911. I didn't even know what a liberal was back in the 80's. I guess I was a very low information voter back then. But to listen to these two talk was soo compelling to me. Learning about this place called Israel was incredible, which was a frequent topic. And let me tell you, it takes years to learn about this very complicated place, I'm still very lacking in info, even with it in the news now. After all these years hearing people talk about their lives or the lives of people in far away places it remains soo interesting to me. When I read, I always buy a biography. I feel talk radio should think about this fact, that listeners like the interaction of an interview and the monologues that hosts do. This is why I always complain about commercials and news and traffic. The core reason for me listening to radio is for that voice, I want to hear what the host ate for dinner on the weekend, I know that sounds weird but I find all the minutiae interesting. The changing landscape of radio here in LA needs to take someone like me, a listener, into consideration. Try making money by doing what the people that listen want. What a concept huh?







[RADIO]George Takei on Fresh Air talking about his new documentary and his interesting life. It's a very special interview.
http://www.npr.org/2014/07/28/335945625/whats-it-like-to-be-takei-george-takei-offers-a-glimpse





KFWB going all sports
http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2014/07/media_notes_6.php


Really sorry to hear that this is happening. KFWB has been a huge staple in LA for years and years. Not that I listened much except when an earthquake hit, it would be the go to station. The cult of sports once again wins out. What ya gonna do, it's a business, I get it.





From Radio Ink
NICKERSON RECEIVES 100,00 BIRTHDAY CARDS
Last week we wrote about how Cumulus was rallying its stations and syndicated shows around Danny Nickerson, who celebrated his 6th birthday this past Friday. Nickerson is battling an inoperable brain tumor,known as diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma, one of the most chemotherapy-resistant cancers. All he wanted for his birthday was boxes and boxes of birthday cards. According to a Facebook post from Danny's mother Carley Nickerson Danny received over 100,000 cards.



Another great blog post by Ken Levine about overnight radio out in the middle of nowhere.
All-night radio -- hookers, brawls, and dead presidents
The text in the graphic is very interesting.





National Radio Hall of Fame Unveils Crosley Exhibit
http://www.radioworld.com/article/national-radio-hall-of-fame-unveils-crosley-exhibit/271566





How radio changed Woody Guthrie’s life
http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2014/07/31/radio-changed-woody-guthries-life/







[LA ICON]LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers announced Tuesday night that Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully will return for his 66th season in 2015. Man oh man is there gonna be a huge statue for this man.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/11283819/vin-scully-los-angeles-dodgers-return-2015-66th-season






[QUOTE]"Sports is just an escape" - Rush





[TWEET]





[PODCASTS]Mike Myers on WTF with Marc Maron. I listened and in my opinion Mike is a little douchey. I created this, I own this and he goes on and on. He's probably a great dad and a good person but I didn't much like this interview. Too much about me and me and me. Sorry, just being honest. He's done great stuff over the years but it just rubbed me the wrong way. Marc didn't really sound all that into it either. He was a little out of his element recording this interview in some office in Manhattan. Some good insights into working on SNL and with Lorne Michaels and some interesting stuff about working on Shrek. It's worth a tumble but I think Mike is way past his prime.
http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_518_-_mike_myers






[BUMPER STICKER]






[LA PHOTO]The ‘Brilliant’ Ultra-High Resolution Time-Lapse of Los Angeles That Took Two Years to Complete: ‘Incredible’
If you have a HD monitor you can do full screen on YouTube and it's crystal clear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNw0EgVKZro






[PLATE]





[TECH]NPR One Delivers A Curated Public Radio Stream For The Smartphone Era
http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/28/npr-one/





Apple to acquire ‘Pandora for Talk Radio’ app Swell for $30 million
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/07/apple-acquires-swell.html




Cadillacs to integrate wireless charging for smartphones
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/07/28/gm-powermat-charging/13288787/





[ON THIS DAY]July 30th 1932 - Walt Disney's "Flowers and Trees" premiered. It was the first Academy Award winning cartoon and first cartoon short to use Technicolor. I have never seen this, I can't imagine why, its amazing. These days you can just go to youtube and look up something from 1932! How lucky are we living today?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWEzHE7wn7U







[CLASSIC RADIO]August 28, 1922, WEAF (which had gone on the air 3 months earlier as NYC's first radio station) airs “the first radio commercial. I think it might have been a Larry Miller ad, good god!








[PARTING SHOT]RADIO FOR THE INTERNET GENERATION
BY JANE BROWN, JULY 30TH 2014 EDITORIAL

http://www.weallwantsomeone.org/2014/07/30/radio-for-the-internet-generation/








[CONTACT]
Please send me a comment
losangeleslistener@gmail.com
Twitter: @losanglistener




No comments:

Post a Comment