Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Old KMET Is Now Playing The Low Rider Song



At dinner we turned on 94.7 The Wave. For years and years it has been "smooth jazz". It really wasn't smooth jazz but a mix of adult contemporary songs. I'm sitting there eating my lasagna on National Lasagna Day and I'm hearing the Low Rider song from the band War that is from frigging 1975! Why? What happen to the smooth jazz? Oh ok now I'm hearing Eric Clapton doing his great song "Tears in Heaven". And now I'm hearing Sting.


From the late 1960s until 1987, the 94.7 frequency was home of KMET, a totally revered rock station that had hugely popular DJ's and was loved by listeners for years and years.





Metromedia sold its TV stations in 1986 and restructured and became known as Metropolitan Broadcasting. By the end of 1986, the rock format on KMET had very low ratings and as a result, the format would end on February 14, 1987.

The station changed to a New Age Music/Soft Rock/Contemporary Jazz format with the nickname "The Wave," with initial focus primarily on non-vocal new age music. During the Wave's new age music period, management told the station employees to refer to The Wave as a "mood service" rather than a "radio station". You have got to be kidding me, I have never heard that before. For the first 19th months there were no live Disc Jockeys, instead "vignettes" done by actors, reflecting everyday occurrences. Ratings were weak and John Sebastian was hired as the new Program Director. On September 19, 1988 live jocks were back. John hired Don Burns, Talaya Trigueros, Keri Tombazian, Amy Hiatt and China Smith. Who the hell is John Sebastian?

Over the years, the station moved to more of a Smooth jazz sound. Today, the station is still called "The Wave" and plays a mix of smooth jazz, soft R&B hits, AC songs, and some softer rock hits. I beg to differ.


This photo is the transmitter at Mount Wilson. 

I don't know what's going on over there, but it's marginal at best. If I turn on the wave and hear the Low Rider song...I'm pretty much done. Only consultants and bad management and horrible decisions can create such crap. These people create these stations that program to non-humans and only want to get ratings. And now with the personal people meter it will get worse. Commercial music radio is so dead that the sales people have to lie even more than they ever did to trick people into buying ads. It's pretty sad.  


This is Talia and her daughter, one of the DJ's at The Wave.

I don't see this kind of format lasting much longer. I can't imagine with all the digital avenues happening these days that this can go on much longer. Every on air person has done such a great job and I have always enjoyed them.

- JP 

No comments:

Post a Comment